Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe
1923 Orense St., Makati City
The Guadalupe district was formed into a barrio sometime in the 16th century. The whole district was named after the Patroness of the first Spanish settlers, which history notes to be the Society of Jesus or the Jesuits. The society accepted the donation of a property that was first owned by Captain de Brito in 1589. It has three smaller sitios within its jurisdiction near the Fort William McKinley area. The sitios are San Jose, San Nicolas (Masilang) and Barrio Visaya (it was called thus because families of Visayan soldiers stationed at Fort William McKinley set up cogon shacks along the shortcut road leading to the military camp).
During World War II, Guadalupe was the hardest hit among the barrios of Makati, houses were burned, men, women and even children were massacred by the Japanese soldiers, but with love and forgiveness in their hearts, the people of Guadalupe patiently and gallantly rose from their ruins and built anew. The word Nuevo was coined and categorized during the recent post-war period, specifically when developments were taken into consideration by the government.
On June 11, 1950, the Guadalupe Catholic Association was organized and this association revived the previous negotiation with the Guadalupe Estate Inc. for the donation of lots of church site. In July of the same year, a sister aide association was organized and was known as Guadalupe Women's Catholic League. Meetings and resolutions were revived for the said negotiations. Soon, by the grace of God and the generous heart and goodwill of the owners of the Guadalupe Estate Incorporated two lots were donated which were embodied by a Board Resolution on November 6, 1950. It was here where the old wooden Catholic Church was built.
His excellency, Most Rev. Gabriel M. Reyes, DD, Archbishop of Manila, erected the Parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Guadalupe Nuevo, Makati, on November 23, 1951. The whole parish was taken from the Parish of Sts. Peter and Paul to answer the spiritual needs of the 8,000 inhabitants of Guadalupe Nuevo, Guadalupe Viejo, Pinagkaisahan and Fort Bonifacio.
The image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, believed to be donated by the Unsons, Paredes, and Garcias of Quezon City and Sampaloc was first enshrined in San Nicolas Chapel, one of the oldest chapels in the district until it was formally enshrined in the parish church on December 11, 1951.
On December 12, 1952, Most Reverend Vincent P. Reyes, DD, Auxiliary Bishop of Manila, installed Rev. Fr. Guillermo V. Tello as the first appointed Parish Priest of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish.
The Pilgrim Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe (the exact replica of the Blessed Virgin that was miraculously imprinted on the frail cloak or tilma of Juan Diego) which was a gift to His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin, DD by Filipino pilgrims who attended the 100th anniversary of the Coronation of the Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico, was given to the Confraternity. This image was brought to various dioceses, parishes, schools, government and private institutions. It has greatly helped in the fulfillment of the task of propagating the devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe.
The pastoral care of the sixth Parish Priest, Msgr. Daniel B. Sta. Maria was highlighted with the intensification of the parish pastoral formation. In his two year administration, the parish was able to form its new Constitution and By-Laws, which would guide both the pastors and lay leaders in its vision of making the Parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe as a Christ-centered community committed to the integral evangelization. Administrative developments were strengthened and proactive lay involvement was animated as it continues to respond to the signs of the times. Social services were also enriched along with the promotion of the devotion to the dear Lady. Continuous researches were also made in order to strengthen the petition for Shrinehood that was filed years before by the previous parish administration.
In the dawn of the Golden Jubilee of the parish, the seventh pastor was appointed. Msgr. Salvador R. Jose, a pious servant-leader is a great blessing for the Parish's dream of becoming the center of devotion to the Dear Lady of Guadalupe. His prayerful leadership and continuous researches led to significant developments in the petition for Shrinehood of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish.
On November 13, 2001, Fr. Genaro O. Diwa, head of the Ministry of Liturgical Affairs of the Archdiocese of Manila, declared the celebration of the feast Our lady of Guadalupe in the Philippines as an Obligatory Memorial. This is in recognition to the Papal Bull issued by Pope Paul XI in 1935, declaring Our Lady of Guadalupe as the Principal Patroness of the Philippine Islands.
On July 31, 2002, the Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, canonized St. Juan Diego, the native of Mexico to whom Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared. In line with this, His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin celebrated the 12 noon Mass in the Parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe on August 1, 2002 in honor of the newly proclaimed Saint.
A month after, on August 15, 2002, His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin issued a decree of erection making the Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish Church as the Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Excerpt from Shrines, Incarnating Christ Today. St. Paul Philippines, 2004. Photos from catholicpinoyblogger.blogspot.com and flickr.com.« Previous Shrine Next Shrine »
Basahin ang ebanghelyo, unang pagbasa at salmo na gagamiting sa misa sa araw na ito sa wikang Tagalog.
Liturgy of the Hours: Office of Readings
Read from the rich treasure of the writings of the saints and the church fathers.
Fr. Charles Belmonte and Fr. James Socias
Let us try to practice these acts of piety which will lead us, almost without our realizing it, to contemplative prayer...
St. Benedict of Nursia
The instruments of good works: First of all, to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy strength. Then, to love...
Fr. Charles Belmonte and Fr. James Socias
Make a short examination of conscience before going to rest at night. Two or three minutes...